Sunday, October 03, 2010

Fatherhood

Being the sappy and clucky guy that I am, I've been thinking about this blog post for many years. Next to the announcement of nuptials over three years ago, this would be the next logical milestone to chronicle on this little weblog of events. Though I'm sure I could drag the buildup for a few more labored sentences, I think I'll save everyone time by coming right out and saying this; Alison and I are going to be parents in April next year.



It's been hard to keep this all under wraps for the past 12 weeks while we waited for the socially appropriate time to spread the word. Friday was the first of many tests that this child will have to endure in it's life and I'm pleased to say that it's already excelling all standard benchmarks. Admittedly my assessment could be considered marginally biased.



That's a beautifully formed left hand I think. Absolutely perfect for playing the guitar and video games as you would expect. One thing that doesn't come across in the pictures is how much the baby moves during the ultrasound. We were absolutely transfixed on the screen, watching in awe as the baby (a mere 5.5cm from crown to rump at this point) floated around and danced on the screen. I'd buy one of those machines to take home if I could.



There were also 3D pictures taken but they didn't come out as well. I'm going to be taking a lot of photos over the next few years so this kid better not be camera shy. Fascinating that it sleeps the same way I do with my arm over and face against the wall. Well... I found it fascinating anyway.

The new grandparents and family are suitably excited about all of this, with mum booking trips out in November and April to be with us. We may even get Uncle Wing to drag himself away from work for once with the promise of being able to hold a new bubbie. The estimated due date at the moment is the 12th of April 2011, which would be an Aries. Another Tauren in the family wouldn't have gone amiss but I'm sure we'll manage.

It's still too early to tell the sex of the baby though Alison and I both plan on finding out. Names on the other hand will have to be a surprise for April. Rest assured that there will be posts to follow our upcoming adventure.


3 comments:

Tine said...

Oh what great news, guys! Congratulations! :)

PS: Yes yes, the baby's got a good gaming hand ;)

albert said...

hey congratulations to you both!!

i've got some lego duplo that's been waiting to go to a good home lol!!

RC said...

Name him/her Rudi, and I'll take care of the education. :P

Congrats Sharim and Alison - looks like Cel's proposed 30th bash will have to take a back seat for a bash of a much more paternal (and dare I say, fulfilling) kind.

Champagne all around! Wunderbar!